Following is the list of recommended open ports in Firewall of your VPS:
- Make sure that the Remote Desktop default port 3389 is checked in the exceptions list. If this is not checked, you will not be able to connect to your VPS through a Remote desktop.
- If you want to host websites in VPS, make sure that these ports 80 and 443 are checked in the exceptions list.
- If you are going to use VPS as a mail server (SmarterMail), then you will need to check the Internet Mail Server (SMTP) port 25 and the Post-Office Protocol Version 3 (POP3) port 110 in your Windows Firewall exceptions list. You should also add port 9998 which is used to access the web interface of SmarterMail.
- If you want to use FTP, you will also need to add FTP server port 21 in VPS Windows Firewall exceptions list.
- To connect to the SQL Server 2008/2012/2016 remotely, you need to add TCP port 1533 in the exceptions list.
- If you have selected WebsitePanel to control your VPS domain names then you should add ports 9001, 9002 and 9003 in the exceptions list of your Windows Firewall.
In Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 VPS, we by default add above port numbers in exceptions list of Windows Firewall. Hence, you do not need to add them from your side. However, if you choose Windows Server 2003 Operating System in your VPS and wish to enable Windows Firewall then you should add above exceptions in your VPS.