Many Windows VPS/Dedicated server users are facing an issue on how to setup another RDP user for the server. This article will help to create user for server and assign RDP access permissions.
- Login to the server as an administrator. Please refer to how to connect VPS via RDP for more details.
- Click on Server Manager from Start → right-click Computer → Manage.
- Expand the Server Manager window. Then, expand to Configuration → Local Users and Groups → Users.
- After that, right-click Users option and select New User to create a new user for server.
- Please enter all the required details like Username and Password. We recommend to use strong password which will be a combination of numbers, special characters and alphabets [in uppercase and lowercase].
In addition to this, you can select other required properties like User cannot change password to ensure that the password will not be changed. Password never expires to prevent being locked out of the server.
- Now, click on Create button to create the user for your server.
- As you need to use this user for RDP access, you need to add this user in Remote Desktop Users group of the server. For that, right-click the new user e.g. ACCUTest [Configuration → Local Users and Groups → Users] and select Properties.
- Click on the Member Of tab. Then, click on Add.
- Click on Advanced.
- Click on Find Now and select the Remote Desktop Users option from the list and then click on OK.
- You should now see the Remote Desktop Users group in the Member Of tab.
- Click on OK button to apply the changes.