Set up MySQL Database
Please refer to the following article to set up a MySQL database from cPanel –
Please refer to the following article to Upload files/ folders using FTP in Shared Web Hosting –
MediaWiki Installation Steps
We want to install MediaWiki in the wiki folder of the website. Hence, we will extract the MediaWiki files/ folders under this wiki folder.
Once files/ folders have been extracted, browse the wiki folder through the browser - http://www.yourdomain.com/wiki.
You will get prompted to set up MediaWiki.
Click on the Set up the wiki link to proceed to the installation page.
In this section, you will have to choose a name for your wiki, contact email, language, and license. You will also have to set an admin username and password and select a caching method.
Email, email notification, and authentication setup
In this step, you should configure email features for your wiki installation.
In this section, you will have to set up your MySQL database details –
- Select MySQL for the database type.
- Type localhost for the database host.
- Enter the database name, username, and password in the MySQL database username and password you created while setting up the database from cPanel.
- The option for the Superuser account should be left unchecked.
MySQL specific options
- Database table prefix - You can leave this blank or type in a table prefix; for example, mw_ or wiki_.
- Storage Engine - We recommend using InnoDB as a storage engine for your database.
- Database character set - We recommend using Backwards-compatible UTF-8.
- Click on the [Install MediaWiki!] button when you are ready.
- If everything has been set up correctly, you should see the ‘Installation successful’ message as shown below –