This article will provide you with a brief idea of SSL.
Starting with what SSL is...
The "Sockets" part of the term refers to the sockets method of passing data back and forth between a client and a server program in a network or between program layers in the same computer. SSL uses the public-and-private key encryption system from RSA (Algorithm method), which also includes the use of digital certificates.
Types & Features of SSL
Basically, there are three types of SSL being run on the Internet:
1. A simple SSL certificate is used once for only one domain, i.e., if you purchase one Simple SSL that can be used for a single website, i.e., you can use Simple SSL to secure only https://domainname.com OR https://www.domainname.com.
2. Multi-Domain SSL certificate is used to secure upto 100 domains/Websites, i.e., if you purchase MultiDomain SSL, you can secure https://domainname.com, https://test.domainname.com, https://domainname.org, etc.
3. Wildcard SSL, which can be used to secure multiple subdomains under a single certificate. i.e. https://domainname.com, https://test.domainname.com, https://shopping.domainname.com.
Advantages of SSL
- Working on Private Key RSA encryption, so if it hacks while transporting on the Internet. It will not be decrypted by the hacker.
- 128-bit or 256-bit SSL encryption level is standard nowadays.
- Authentication between web browsers and web servers, as well as server-to-server.
Trusted by almost all browsers
Symbol of SSL
- When you browse any site with https, e.g., https://domainname.com, you will find a lock symbol at the right-bottom of the browser.
- By clicking on the lock, you will find the screen to view the certificate.
- The 3rd option shows that "The Name of the Security Certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site", so you can consider that the security certificate is not installed on the site.
- If SSL expired on the site, at the same time, if you are trying to access the site, you will be getting the screen that shows 2ndoption that the security certificate has expired and is not valid further.