Starting with what is SSL...
The "Sockets", part of the term refers to the sockets method of passing data back and forth between a client and a server program in a network or between program layers in the same computer. SSL uses the public-and-private key encryption system from RSA (Algorithm method), which also includes the use of digital certificate.
Types & Features of SSLBasically, there are three types of SSL being run on Internet:
- Simple SSL certificate is used once for only one domain i.e. if you purchase one Simple SSL that can be used for a single website i.e. you can use Simple SSL to secure only https://domainname.com OR https://www.domainname.com .
- Multi Domain SSL certificate is used to secure upto 100 domains/Websites i.e. if you purchase MultiDomain SSL, you can secure https://domainname.com, https://test.domainname.com, https://domainname.org etc.
- Wildcard SSL, which can be used to secure multiple subdomains under a single certificate. i.e. https://domainname.com, https://test.domainname.com, https://shopping.domainname.com.
Advantages of SSL
- Working on Private Key RSA encryption, so, if it hacks while transporting on the Internet. It will not be decrypted by the hacker.
- 128 bit or 256 bit SSL encryption level is standard now-a-days.
- Authentication between web browsers and web servers, as well as server-to-server.
AuthenticationTrusted by almost all browsers
Symbol of SSL
- When you browse any site with https e.g. https://domainname.com; you will find a lock symbol at the right bottom of the browser.
- By clicking on the lock you will find the screen to view the certificate.
- The 3rd option shows that "The Name of the Security Certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site", so you can consider that security certificate is not installed on the site.
- If SSL expired on the site, at the same time if you are trying to access the site, you will be getting the screen, which shows 2ndoption that the security certificate has expired and is not valid further.