If you are using multiple monitors and often connect to remote servers via Remote Desktop, you can take benefit of running same Remote Desktop connection on multiple monitors. It's worth mentioning that multiple monitors support for Windows 7 OS is only available in Ultimate and Enterprise editions. For Windows Server OS, it is available with Windows Server 2008 R2.
Additionally, both the local and remote systems must be running one of the supported versions. For example, Windows 7 Ultimate running on your local computer can connect to a remote machine running Windows server 2008 R2. Following are the steps to use multiple monitors with Remote Desktop connection.
- Open Remote Desktop Connection (Start >> Run >> type “mstsc” hit enter).
- At Remote Desktop window, enter the hostname/IP address of the system you want to connect to.
- Click on Options button to expand the Remote Desktop Connection window to populate advanced options.
- Choose the Display tab and select the Use all my monitors for the remote session check box.
- Go to General tab and click the Save button.
- Click on Connect button.