This article will assist you to enable remote access to MySQL server through Windows command prompt. However, the following steps can also be performed in MySQL command-line client or phpMyAdmin.
- Open command prompt. (Press Start + R, type cmd in Run box and hit Enter)
- At command prompt, navigate to path C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.X\bin and run following command. It will prompt you for the password of MySQL root user. Enter password and MySQL prompt will be displayed.
mysql -u root -p
- At MySQL prompt, create a remote user account with root privileges, run the following commands.
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'USERNAME'@'IP' IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD';
- USERNAME: Username you wish to connect to MySQL server.
- IP: Public IP address from where you wish to allow access to MySQL server.
- PASSWORD: Password of the username used.
IP can be replaced with % to allow user to connect from any IP address.
- Flush the privileges by following command and exit.
→ Looking for help on allowing Remote MySQL access on Linux Server? Please refer to allow remote MySQL for more details.