The default document can be a site's home page when no filename/web page is specified in the web URL while users request to access the site. Some default documents are index.html, index.htm, default.html, default.htm, default.aspx, etc.
This article will assist you in setting up the default document in IIS for the site in a few easy steps.
- Open the Run and type "inetmgr," and press "Ok" to open IIS(Internet information service manager.)
- Click on the hostname "WIN-6**************" to expand the menu.
- Click on the sites to expand the site list. Next, find your site from the list on which you want to set the default document.
- Click on the default documents.
- Click on the "Add" button the add a new default document. Next, enter the name of the default document and hit the "Ok" button.
- As you see in the screen capture, many default documents are listed; now, you will have to prioritize the default document. To set the priority, click on the name of the default document, then click on the "Move Up" button in the actions sidebar to put it at the top of priority.
Now, your default document is configured correctly.