You may fall into a situation where you forgot the VPS login (administrator/root) password. The data inside VPS is critical that you can't afford to lose it. Here, we have mentioned how to reset the forgotten password for the VPS created inside Hyper V.
- Log in to your main Hyper-V Node and download the ISO for the Windows 2016 OS from the Microsoft website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2016
- Open Hyper-V Manager and connect your VPS. From the Media option at the top, select DVD Drive >> Insert Disk. Select your ISO that you have download in the first step and attach it with your VPS. After completing this step, turn-off your VPS.
- Right-click on the VPS and go to settings, click on the Firmware option. You will see the boot order. Select the DVD at the top using Move Up and Move Down button and click the OK button.
- Now, start your VPS and it will be boot from the ISO.
- At the windows setup menu, click on the Next and select Repair your computer.
- At choose and option, select the troubleshoot option.
- At the Advance option, select the Command Prompt. It will open the command prompt.
- Run the below command inside the command prompt.
d: cd windows\system32 ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.old copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Now, close the command prompt and click on the continue button.
- The server will now boot. Press Windows Key+U.
- Run the below command to change the new password in the command prompt. Here, Password123 is the new password. You can change it as per your requirement.
net user administrator Password123
- Close the command prompt. Now, you should be able to login with your new password.
- Go back to your HyperV Manager. Right-click on the VPS >> settings. At firmware, select the File (bootmgfw.efi) at the top and click the OK button.
- Logout from your VPS and try to login again with the password you have changed in step no. 11.