Following are the steps to modify the host file in Windows 7, MacOS, and Ubuntu.
Note: You can also use these steps to modify the host file in Windows 8/10 as well.
1. Press Windows+R to open Run.
2. Enter the Below Command to open the host file in notepad.
3. Modify the required line and save your changes.
We will use the nano editor to modify the host file in Ubuntu. You can use your favorite editor. You can find the host file in the path /etc/ folder. We logged in as the root user here. You can use sudo if you are not logged in with the root user.
1. Hit the below command.
# nano /etc/hosts
2. Modify the Required line and save your settings by the ctr+x Button. Press Y to complete & save changes.
Mac OS X:
You will find the host file in MAC OS on the same path as we see in Ubuntu.
1. Open a GUI Text Editor.
2. Access the file in the /etc/ folder using the below command.
# vim /etc/hosts
3. Modify your changes and save the Host file.