Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 is the latest version of Microsoft's relational database management system. It became available in preview releases during 2015, and became generally available on June 1st, 2016.An Express edition of SQL Server 2016 is a free yet powerful & reliable data management system capable
An Express edition of SQL Server 2016 is a free yet powerful & reliable data management system, capable to power lightweight websites and desktop applications. To check minimum requirements of SQL server 2016, you can read our knowledgebase article. The following tutorial will assist you to install MS SQL 2016 Express Edition.
- Download the SQL Server 2016 installer file and save it to your local computer.
- Go to your Downloads folder and run the installer file. This will launch the SQL Server Setup Wizard.
- Select an installation type as Custom.
- On the next step, specify media download target location only if you want to change it. Otherwise, you can skip this step and click on Install button to proceed.
- On the next window, select New SQL server stand-alone installation or add a feature to an existing installation option.
- Accept the License Terms and click Next.
- On the next screen, the setup will check Global Rules. Once it passes all the checks, click on Next.
- Enable Use Microsoft Updates to check for updates (recommended) and click Next.
- Enable Include SQL Server product updates and click Next to install MS SQL server updates.
- On the next step, the setup will Install Setup Files.
- On the next step, the setup will check for all the Install Rules. Ignore Windows Firewall warning and click Next.
- On the Feature Selection stage, click on Select All and then Next.
- On the Feature Rules stage, the setup will check for any updates to be installed. Click on Next.
- On the Instance Configuration stage, if you want to proceed with default settings then click Next. Otherwise, you can select the Named instance, give the proper name to SQL instance and then click Next.
- On the Server Configuration screen, you don't have to change anything. Click on Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration, change authentication mode to Mixed Mode. Specify "sa" user password and click Next.
- On the Reporting Service Configuration stage, select Install and configure and click Next.
- Click on Accept button when the setup asks your consent to Install Microsoft R. Click on Next. On the next step, the setup will start installing MS SQL 2016 Express edition.
- Once MS SQL 2016 is installed. Click on Close.
Note that SQL Management Studio won't be installed with MS SQL 2016. It needs to be downloaded from here and installed separately.