It will first imports all your old messages to your Gmail account and then continues to fetch new messages. You are allowed to add total 5 email accounts regardless of your email service provider. Here are the steps to configure your Gmail account to send/receive emails from an email account you own.
- Login to your Gmail account. At the top right, click the gear Icon.
- Select Settings and click on Accounts and Import tab.
- In the "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)" section, click Add a POP3 email account you own.
- Enter the full email address of the other account, then click Next Step.
- Now you have few options to choose from. Following are our recommended settings but they may vary according to your email service provider.
- Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server - Check the box. Otherwise the emails in your other account will be deleted and you’ll only be able to access them in Gmail.
- Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail - Keep checked. In case, your email service provider does not support secure POP keep it unchecked.
- Label incoming messages - Check the box if you’d like to easily see which emails in your inbox came from this account.
- Archive incoming messages - Don’t check. Only check if you don’t want to see new messages from the other account in your inbox.
If you want to send through Gmail, select Yes and Click Next Step. (In case, you do not wish to send through Gmail, just click the No radio button and there is no need to follow next steps.)
Once account has been added, you will see your email address in the Send Email As and the Check mail from other accounts section.