Virtual Private Server (VPS)
VPS shares a single server among many users. VPS Hosting is like living in an apartment where you share land resources with other neighbours. There are many virtualization technologies available to create VPS viz. Microsoft Hyper-V, Vmware, Xen, Virtuozzo, etc. When you purchase a VPS, you will get virtualized resources i.e. RAM, CPU, Disk, etc. Your server will have its own operating system and you can make the necessary configuration changes as per your need.
In most cases, the performance of other virtual servers do not affect but if any VPS is performing large disk operations (high disk input/output), the performance of the main server can be degraded and this can affect to other virtual servers' performance. When any maintenance is performed on a main server, all the VPSs of that server may face down time. Generally, VPS Hosting is used for:
- Running websites with moderate traffic.
- Dynamic sites with lots of images, database or scripts.
- A website which wants special Application Program to run.
- Running 24x7 Game servers, Forex Applications, SEO Applications, Online Business Applications, etc.
Dedicated Server are the fastest and most powerful hosting option. Dedicated Server Hosting is like owning your own house in which you have full access of your land resources. In Dedicated Server, hardware resources are not shared with any other user. RAM, HDD, Processor and network access are all 100% dedicated to a single server instead of sharing among multiple customers. Generally,Dedicated Server Hosting is used for:
- Running websites with the massive traffic.
- Running ERP Applications.
- Running big online Application.
- Running High traffic Game Server.
- Running own Hosting Company.
|There are many virtualization technologies available to create VPS viz. Microsoft Hyper-V, Vmware, KVM, Xen, Virtuozzo, etc.||Dedicated Server is a separate physical server for which there is no need of any virtualization technology.|
|Usually maintenance are scheduled every two months or based on criticality of the patch release. Maintenance are scheduled during nightly hours and as per the convenience of Hosting Provider.||This is your Dedicated Server and nobody else is sharing resources. So, maintenance can be scheduled as per convenience of Server Owner.|
|By default, AccuWeb Hosting offers a complimentary backup which is weekly and can be restored upon client request. Apart from this, client can purchase paid backups. Paid backups are on daily basis and file level restoration is possible.||By default, we don’t take backups of the Dedicated Server You can purchase paid backup option and we will daily backup your server.|
|Disk Space is limited compared to dedicated servers.||Dedicated Server offer disk space in Terabytes (TB).|
|Easy and Fast with minimal downtime||Time consuming|
- Both VPS as well as Dedicated Server can be rebooted remotely when needed. However, for the hard reboot, you need to contact your Hosting provider.
- Both provides root/admin access of the server.
- In both of these Hosting type, user gets dedicated IP address and can configure own DNS Server, Mail Server, Database Server etc.
Looking to compare CLASSIC VPS V/S. SSD VPS V/S. CLOUD VPS? Please refer to Compare VPS for more details.