What’s new in Windows Server 2016?
Released on September 26, 2016, Windows Server 2016 is the latest server operating system developed by Microsoft. Windows Server 2016 is an excellent upgrade to its predecessor Window Server 2012 R2 as there are lots of new features have been introduced.
Here, we’ve listed some of the best features of Windows Server 2016 OS which are useful to VPS users.
- IIS 10 with HTTP/2 support.
- Windows Defender anti-malware from Microsoft.
- New DDS record types ( TLSA, SPF, etc.) are now supported in DNS Server.
- Web Application Proxy, pre -authentication for HTTP Basic application publishing, wildcard domain publishing of applications and HTTP to HTTPS redirection.
- Windows Server Containers.
- Integration services for Windows VPS through Windows Update.
- Improved user experience and performance.
- Shielded Virtual Machines.
Check out this article to get more information on Windows Server 2016 features.
2. Does my VPS come with pre-activated Windows Server 2016 OS license or do I have to purchase it separately?
We are using pre-activated Windows Operating System license on all of our Windows VPS plans. Therefore, you don’t require to purchase Operating System license for Windows Server 2016.
3. What are the system requirements to install Windows Server 2016 OS on VPS?
Following are approximate system requirements for Windows Server 2016 VPS. Note that actual requirements may vary according to your system configuration and the features you choose to install.
These system requirements are applicable to all installation options (Server Core, Server with Desktop Experience, and Nano Server) for both Standard and Datacenter editions.
The following are the processor requirements for Windows Server 2016.
- 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor compatible with x64 instruction set.
- Supports NX and DEP.
- Supports CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAHF, and PrefetchW.
- Supports Second Level Address Translation (EPT or NPT).
The following are the approximate RAM requirements for Windows Server 2016.
- Minimum: 512 MB (2 GB for Server with Desktop Experience installation option).
- ECC (Error Correcting Code) type or similar technology.
Storage Controller & Disk Space Requirements
Windows 2016 servers must be used on PCI Express architecture compliant storage adapters. Also, it does not support TA/PATA/IDE/EIDE or boot, page, or data drives.
An absolute minimum disk space requirement to install Windows Server 2016 is 32 GB. It’s a minimum value for the successful installation of Windows Server 2016 in Server Core mode with the IIS role.
For more information, you can refer to official Microsoft guide for system requirement of Windows Server 2016.
4. Which MS SQL Server version is offered with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
We offer MS SQL Server 2016 Express edition pre-installed and configured. In case you want to have MS SQL Server 2014, you can select it from the drop-down menu while placing VPS order.
5. What will be the actual usable disk space will I get with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
If you’ve chosen full VPS configuration, you’ll get approximately 10 to 15 GB free disk space to use out of 35 GB total disk space. With OS only configuration, you’ll get approximately 20 to 25 GB free disk space to use out of 35 GB total disk space.
*There may be a slight variation in the mentioned usage based on the future Windows updates installation and number of components you choose to install.
6. What are the other preinstalled components will I get with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
We install following component with the full Windows Server 2016 VPS configuration.
- Microsoft IIS 10 web server
- Microsoft DNS Server
- Microsoft FTP Server
- SmarterMail mail server
- Remote Desktop
- ASP, ASP.Net Frameworks 2/3.5/4/4.5
- MVC 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 & 4.0
- PHP 5.x to PHP 7.0
- MySQL 5.x
- MS SQL Server 2014/2016 Express Edition
- SolidCP 2.1 control panel
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer
- Other necessary tools
7. Which IIS version is preinstalled with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
Windows Server 2016 VPS is shipped with IIS 10 supporting HTTP/2 protocol.
8. Do you offer IPv6 with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
No, as of now we only offer IPv4 with Windows Server 2016 VPS plans.
9. Can I upgrade my existing Windows 2008/2012 VPS to Windows Server 2016?
There’s no direct way to upgrade Windows Server Operating System. If you want to use Windows Server 2016 VPS, you can cancel your existing VPS and place a new order. Note that once Windows Server 2016 VPS is delivered, data/website migration has to be taken care from your end.
10. Do Windows Server 2016 VPS plans are fully managed?
11. How can I migrate our existing VPS to new Windows Server 2016 VPS along with all setting preserved? Can you do it for us?
We’ll make initial setup of all required software and applications on your VPS. If you’ve purchased our fully Managed services, our team will be engaged to assist you to migrate your content from old servers to the new Windows Server 2016 VPS. In the case of Self Managed services, we’ll provide you all the necessary guidelines to migrate your content to new VPS.
12. Do you offer a custom configuration with Windows Server 2016 VPS?
We will put our best efforts to accommodate your custom configurations, however we don’t guarantee it.
If you have further questions regarding our Windows Server 2016 VPS, drop your question in the comment section, or chat with our sales executive live.