If you have chosen MS SQL Server to be installed in Windows VPS while placing an order, you'll get a pre-installed MS SQL server along with Advanced Services. MS SQL Server Advanced services include excellent features like Full-Text search, Reporting service, Advanced query optimizer, Triggers, Stored procedures, Views, etc.
This article will help those who've installed MS SQL Server without Advanced Features and wish to add them to existing MS SQL Server instances.
Note that when you follow this knowledge base, it is assumed that you have pre-installed MS SQL Server 2012 instance without Advanced Services.
1. For MS SQL Server 2012, download the setup file SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe with Advanced Services. For MS SQL Server 2008, download the installer file SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe with Advanced Services.
2. To match the pre-installed MS SQL Server version, we have selected the 64-bit version installer. You should choose the installer version according to your existing setup. If required, you may also choose other additional components (SQL Server Management Studio, etc.) to be installed with setup files.
3. Once the necessary setup files are downloaded, launch the installation process, and you will see the following screen. Select the first option, New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
3. At this stage, the installer will run several rule checks, and you will see several installation progress bars.
4. On the Installation Type screen, select Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2012 option and click on the Next button to proceed.
5. On the Feature Selection screen, select the advanced features you want to install on the existing MS SQL Server instance and click the Next button to proceed. Again, the installer will run some installation rule checks and disk space requirements check.
6. On the Server Configuration screen, you may configure an account for each SQL service or simply skip it by clicking the Next button.
7. On the Reporting Service Configuration screen, select the Install only option and click the Next button. Since Reporting Service is not installed yet, you may need to configure it later on.
8. On the Error Reporting screen, simply click the Next button.
9. On the next window, you will see the installation progress as follows.
10. Once selected components are installed, you will see the following success message.