Today, we will guide you on how to connect to Linux Dedicated Server through SSH from Windows. In order to connect to Linux Dedicated server through SSH from the Windows system, you will have to download the following SSH Client in your windows system.
- Bitvise SSH client
Note: Here, we have installed Bitvise SSH client as a demo in our windows system.
Follow the below steps to connect to Linux Dedicated server through SSH.
- Go to the taskbar and type SSL Client which you have installed in your windows system in the Search box.
- Here, we have used Bitvise SSH client as an SSH client because we have installed it in our system. Once you type it in the search box, the Bitvise SSH Client application will appear above. Select and click on it to open it.
- Once you click on it, Bitvise SSH Client application will be opened. To connect the dedicated server click on the login tab given at the top of the application.
- In the host field, enter the IP address of your VPS or server. Here, we have entered 192.168.2.152 as an example. You need to replace this IP address with your dedicated server IP address.
- In the username field, enter the username of the dedicated server which you want to access. Here, we have entered root as an example. You can replace the username (root) with the actual username from which you want to access.
- In the Initial method field, you need to select the authentication method to login into your dedicated server. Generally, we select only the password method. If you want to connect the SSH with high security then you can choose public key or Publickey+password or other suitable methods but for such method, the public key should be with you. However, here we are selecting the password.
- In the port field, enter the port number on which your server is listening. The standard port of the SSH service is 22. Since it is a widely known port, it can be an easy target of Brute force attacks. To mitigate such attacks, AccuWebHosting has started delivering the dedicated server with SSH service on a non-standard port. Here, we have entered a standard port in the port field. Here, we have use port number 22 as an example. You need to replace it with your dedicated server port number which is provided by our hosting service provider.
- Now, click on the Login button to access the dedicated server. Once you click on it, the bitvise ssh client starts establishing a secure connection with the server. Once that happens successfully.
- The Bitvise will ask you to accept the host keys to establish the connection. If you just want to connect the host only once then select the Accept for this session.
- If you want to access the remote server on a daily or intermittently basis and don’t want to enter the host address and perform all this again and again can click on the button Accept and Save. Here, we have selected the Accept for this session as an example because we want to connect the host only once.
- After then you will be asked to enter the password of the remote machine to authenticate.
- Once you click on the OK button, bitvise will start authenticating the server with the provided password. If it is successful, you will get a message on the screen Authentication completed. It means that we have successfully connected to the dedicated server.
- To open a terminal, click on the New terminal console option located on the left side of the Bitvise SSH client window.