We will learn how to enable two-factor authentication in Wordpress using Google Authenticator in this tutorial. You will need to install a Google Authenticator application on your smartphone to complete this.
What Is WordPress Two-Factor Authentication?
Wordpress two-factor authentication is an additional security layer that you can provide to your Wordpress admin account. It protects your website against common threats like phishing and stolen password. After enabling it, no one can access your account without a unique code.
Suppose if someone has the password of your Wordpress account, but still, he will not be able to log in to your account without a unique code.
How to Setup Wordpress Two-Factor Authentication?
We can easily set up Wordpress two-factor authentication using a plugin called Google Authenticator.
- Log in to your Wordpress Admin.
- At the Dashboard, click on the Plugins >> Add a New Plugin.
- Search for the plugin Google Authenticator. Install and Activate the same plugin.
- Now, go to the settings and click on the Google Authenticator.
- Here we have enabled the two-factor authentication for administrator and editor. You can make the changes as per your requirement and click on save changes.
- Now, go to the Installed Plugins, and you will see a page with a QR code scan.
- Download and Install the Google authenticator application to your phone.
- Enter the code you receive to your google authenticator inside the Authenticator Code box. Click on Verify Authenticator Code.
- You have successfully applied Wordpress two-factor authenticator. Next time, Wordpress will ask you to enter google authenticator code while log-in to your Wordpress admin.
In the future, if you wish to disable WordPress two-factor authentication, you can disable the plugin that we have installed.