Before installing Virtualmin/Webmin on Ubuntu 16. We need to make sure that our system is up to date.
To install updates, initiate the following commands.
sudo apt update
After the update completed, we need to check that hostname. The hostname should be FQDN. (eg. hostname.domain.com)
Use the following command to check the hostname.
Now we will begin the installation of Webmin/Virtualmin.
To install it, Use the following commands one by one.
sudo /bin/sh ./install.sh -y
It may take up to 10 minutes to finish the installation.
After installations complete, we need to configure it.
- Access Virtualmin web panel from your web browser.
https://serverip:10000 (always use https)
- Now login to Webmin panel by using the following credentials.
your root ssh password
- After logging in, you will see Post-installation Wizard.
- Select the appropriate setting for your system.
- Select if you’d like to run Clamd in the background.
- Select if you’d like to run SpamAssassin in the background.
- Select if you’d like to run a MySQL server, PostgreSQL server or both
- Set a root password for the database server (MySQL/PostgreSQL)
Select if you’d like to remove the test MySQL database
Select if you’d like to remove the anonymous MySQL user
- Select the appropriate configuration for your system.
- Set the Primary Nameserver
Set the Secondary nameservers if needed
- Select to store plain-text or hashed password
The Post-Installation Wizard is now completed.
The following setup will help you to set up a virtual server in Virtualmin and Add a New Site.
- Login to Webmin
- Select Virtualmin
- Select Create Virtual Server option
- Fill in the required information for the domain
- New virtual server type
- Domain name
- Administration password
- Server configuration template
- Account plan
- Administration username
1. You need to use the active domain in order to host a domain in Webmin control panel.
2. If you want to host the sub-domain, you need to create the sub-server under the “create the virtual server” option.