vs Shell installation has failed with exit code 1638
This error occurs because Visual Studio 2017 was already installed before the SQL Server installation.
1. Go to Control Panel >> Programme >> Programme and Features.
2. Uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) and (x64) as per the below screen capture.
3. Try to install the SQL Server again.
4. You must select the Database Engine Services while installing the SQL Server without fail. Installation should be completed without any issues.
5. Now, Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x86) and (x64).