Backup is one of the crucial steps in the website configuration. Maintaining the website backup regularly is a good practice. Backup can be very useful to restore the website files/folder if it is modified, deleted or due to hardware crashes.
cPanel provides the options to backup your websites with simple steps. It manages the backup from the Backup configuration option. Taking Backup on the Amazon S3 is a handy option of WHM Backup configuration.
Following are the steps to set up the backups with Amazon S3.
- Login to the WHM.
- Select Backup ==> Backup Configuration.
- Enable the Backup Status.
- Backup type ==> compressed.
- Select the suitable options for website backup in scheduling and retention option. Choose the Daily, Weekly and Monthly backup as per your backup requirement. Make sure your backup doesn't consume the entire disk on the server. Weekly or Monthly backup is a vital option for the websites with less number of updates.
- Click on Backup Accounts and select the users.
- Select the users on which you require to enable the backup.
- Enable the Backup system files if it is required.
- In Additional Destinations ==> Destination type ==> Select Amazon S3 and click on Create new destination.
- Enter the details of Destination name, Amazon S3 Bucket name, Amazon Access Key ID and your secret key.
- Click on Save and Validate Destination to complete the backup configuration.
After completion of these steps, you will receive a message that WHM is able to connect with Amazon S3. From now, Backups will be saved to the Amazon S3. You can check this from your Amazon S3 module.