Installing Web Platform Installer
We deliver the Windows VPS with pre-installed Web Platform Installer. If you don't have Web Platform Installer installed, you can download it from here. After installing Web Platform Installer, next step is to install the Web Deploy tool.
If you choose to install the Web Deploy via Web Platform Installer (Web PI), select the Recommended Server Configuration for Web Hosting Providers option. When you install the Web Deploy with this option, Web PI will select and install all prerequisites and dependencies required for Web Deploy. This package will also include several optional components, if you don't wish to install them, simply click the X next to the components.
Note that the Recommended Server Configuration for Windows Web Hosting Providers can be installed on Windows 2012 Server or later. In earlier versions of Windows Server (2008/2008 R2) with IIS 7, you will have to install the Web Deploy package separately.
Installing Web Deploy from Web Platform Installer
Here are the steps to install the Web Deploy via Web Platform Installer using Recommended Server Configuration for Web Hosting Providers option.
- Open Web Platform Installer.
- In the search bar located at upper-right hand corner, enter the keyword Recommended and press enter key.
- Select Recommended Server Configuration for Web Hosting Providers, and then click Add. Click on Install button.
- On the Prerequisites page, click I accept.
- You will see download and install progress as shown in following screen.
- Once installation has completed, click on Finish button.
Assign User in IIS Manager Permissions
When you install Web Deploy via Web PI, most of the settings will be done by the Web PI itself. In this section, we will allow user in IIS Manager.
- Open IIS Manager.
- In the Connections pane, expand the Sites and select the website.
- In the Feature view, click on IIS Manager Permissions.
- On the next screen, click on Allow User link (step #1 shown in image). This will open Allow User window. On this screen, click on Select button (step #2).
- On the next window, click on Advanced button (step #3). On the next window, click on Find Now button (steps #4).
- Select the username (FTP Username) whom you want to assign the permissions for web deployment and click OK button. Click OK button twice. We recommend you to select the FTP user for web deployment to prevent permissions issues.
- When user is added, you will see it listed under IIS Manager Permissions. Now try to connect to IIS via Web Matrix to verify the connection.