One of our Windows VPS
customers tried to login through Remote Desktop Services to a VPS with a non-Admin account. He was prompted with the following error.
To log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right. If you are not a member of the Remote Desktop Users group or another group that has this right, or if the Remote Desktop Users group does not have this right, or if the Remote Desktop Users group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually.
Windows Server does not allow non-Admin users to login through remote desktop services. To fix this, you'll need to add your remote desktop users into Remote Desktop Users Group and grant them to Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services.
- Click Start >> Run type secpol.msc and click OK. This will open Local Security Policy window.
- Expand the Local Policies and click User Rights Assignment.
- On the right hand side, double click Allow log on through Terminal Services or Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services.
- Click Add User or Group and enter Remote Desktop User. Click OK twice to dismiss both dialog boxes.
- Start the command prompt with administrator rights.
- Run gpupdate /force